Friday, April 1, 2011

A is for Adam Ant

This post is part of the A-Z Blogging Challenge that we’re participating for the month of April where each post has to start with a letter of the alphabet……in order!   I hope you’ll enjoy our alphabetical trip down memory lane to the decade that we just can’t forget – the 80s.

A is for Adam Ant as in Adam and the Ants, Ant Music and Ant Rap.   Yes, we’re heading back to the early 80s today for ex-punk rocker Stuart Goddard who we welcomed into the charts as Adam and the Ants.

Now I can’t actually remember the first Adam and the Ants record I heard on the radio, but I do remember the first time I saw the band on the television.   It was on Top of the Pops and if you grew up in the UK during the 80s this was compulsory viewing on Thursday nights.   The song they performed was Stand and Deliver – I loved it, although I’m not sure if Dick Turpin would’ve liked the camp version of a highwayman that Adam Ant seemed to have portrayed!

I coveted (and finally got) a flouncy shirt similar to the ones that Adam Ant wore along with other New Romantic bands, but I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that I never wore a white stripe across my nose……….my brother on the other hand (sorry little bro I’ve just sold you out).

What was your favourite Adam and the Ants song – let me know below in the comments, I’m not sure which one was my favourite.    Stand and Deliver and Prince Charming are always the first ones that spring to mind, but I think that Ant Rap was one of the first ‘raps’ that I learnt off by heart (apologies to all the rappers out there who are now gasping at my comparing Ant Rap to ‘real’ rap, but I liked it and it’s my blog!)   

Ant Rap was how I remembered the band’s names (at that time anyway) “Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee, Garry Tibbs and Yours Truly, in the naughty north and in the sexy south, we’re all singing I have the mouth……”

Adam and the Ant’s first album was released in 1979, but their biggest album had to be their third one Prince Charming which was released at the end of 1981, then after being nominated for a Grammy in 1982 it seemed that Adam and the Ant’s star had just been extinguished with the band breaking up.

We were all still happy that we weren't losing the music though because Adam Ant released a solo song – Goody Two Shoes.   I think everyone knew the words to that song –

“Goody two, goody two, goody goody two shoes,
Don’t drink, don’t smoke what do you do?
Don’t drink, don’t smoke what do you do?
Subtle innuendos follow
There must be something inside…..”

Adam Ant was going to be around forever, but no!   Almost as soon as his solo career started it stopped and the 80s rolled on without Adam Ant and his merry band of Ants!

Don’t forget to let me know your favourite Adam and the Ants song.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations, two blog posts for A-Z. well done. Now for a confession, I have my Apple iphone plugged into my ears, and I am listening to American Country, and my brain just can't think about Adam and the Ants.

    Rhonda
    laugh-quotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well just writing this post has left me with an interesting Adam and the Ants medley in my head which my daughter's attempting to rid me of by playing Smoke on the Water on her guitar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be a nice refresher course for me on '80s songs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Love this little reminescing!. Takes me back to jr. high and high school dances!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I know I'll learn tons reading your blog posts! Have a great weekend! :)

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth Mueller ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great start to the challenge. Brings back memories. I remember that the drumming in Ant Music was ripped from the Burundi tribe in West Africa. Other artists such as Joni Mitchell also used it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lou ~~ definitely the best decade music~wise! There are soooo many memorable artists from this decade , too many to name !! Duran Duran , Aha , Wham , Simply Red ... and what about the "lost" bands of the 80's ? One band that comes to mind is "Curiosity Killed The Cat" ~~ they had great songs !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adam Ant! Wow take me back. Can't wait to read the rest of the 80s alphabet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam was great and the 80's my decade. I was so psyched when Boy George followed me back on Twitter. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adam Ant and the 80s, those were the days...I can't wait to see what you do for B!
    Happy A Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the band, and the 80s...but not the songs specifically alas.
    Great to meet you on our Challenge!
    Aloha
    Toby
    http://www.tobyneal.net/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the kind words.
    @M Pax - You've got Boy George following you, can't wait to read your tweets myself :D
    @muso-blog-hog - I love all of those bands, havent' thought about Curiosity Killed the Cat in ages and we have the letter C soon......
    @Tony - look what you've got me into LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have lots of great memories from the 80's including college, getting married and the birth of my oldest son. It'll be fun following you through this fun era! Great start in the challenge! Julie

    ReplyDelete