80s Hit Albums
|Some of my 80s Albums|
I actually own a few of these albums and a couple of them have remained on my must buy list - Phil Collins, No Jacket Required was an album I kept meaning to buy and still don't have although I do play his greatest hits regularly.
The only album that really surprised me was Kylie as I hadn't realized just how many albums she had sold during the 80s - I remember when she first hit the charts and a couple of my friends and I were sure she'd be a one hit wonder!!
Anyway take your time and enjoy your nostalgic trip to the decade where music was music and we all rocked!
Brothers in Arms - Dire StraitsBrothers in Arms
The number one best selling album of the eighties in the UK was Dire Straits and their classic - Brothers in Arms. This album is a must have album for any eighties music lover featuring the fantastic hits such as Money for Nothing and Walk of Life among others.
Brothers in Arms was the fifth album for Dire Straits and was actually the first album to sell one million copies in the CD format and to also outsell it's LP version......in other words we could blame this album for the demise of vinyl!!!
Brothers in ArmsTrack Listing
- So Far Away (Album Version) 5:12
- Money For Nothing (Album Version) 8:26
- Walk Of Life (Album Version) 4:12
- Your Latest Trick (Album Version) 6:33
- Why Worry (Album Version) 8:31
- Ride Across The River (Album Version) 6:57
- The Man's Too Strong (Album Version) 4:40
- One World (Album Version) 3:40
- Brothers In Arms (Album Version)
Bad - Michael JacksonBad
Michael Jackson was the 80s King of Pop so it is hardly surprising that he should hold the number 2 and number 3 spot in the best selling albums of the 80s. I was actually surprised that Bad beat Thriller to the number 2 spot as I would've thought that Thriller was HIS album of the 80s.
The majority of the tracks on Michael Jackson's Bad album were actually written by Michael himself. The songs have also aged well with Alien Ant Farm introducing the single Smooth Criminal to a new generation.
Quincy Jones, who produced the album, said that they wanted a tough album and I think that they managed it.
- The Way You Make Me Feel
- Speed Demon
- Liberian Girl
- Just Good Friends - Michael Jackson, Britten, Terry
- Another Part of Me
- Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson, Garrett, Siedah
- I Just Can't Stop Loving You
- Dirty Diana
- Smooth Criminal
- Leave Me Alone
- Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu (I Just Can't Stop Loving You) - Michael Jackson, Blades, Ruben
- Fly Away
Thriller - Michael JacksonThriller, 25th Anniversary Edition
To me Thriller is a must have album of the 80s, whatever you think of Michael Jackson these days in the 80s he ruled! Thriller was an amazing album and really catered to the MTV crowd who doesn't remember the Thriller video?
Most people who lived through the 80s would know all of the singles from this album. Not only was Thriller the 3rd best selling album of the 80s in the UK it also swept away with 8 Grammys.
This 25th anniversary edition of Thriller contains bonus tracks that weren't on the original album - I've included this version because I think if you're missing this album from your collection then the extra tracks really do showcase how timeless MJ's music really is.
Thriller 25th Anniversary EditionTrack Listing
- Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
- Baby Be Mine
- The Girl Is Mine (with Paul McCartney)
- Beat It
- Billie Jean
- Human Nature
- P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
- The Lady In My Life
- Vincent Price (bonus track)
- The Girl Is Mine 2008 with will.i.am ( Previously Unreleased Track For 25th Anniversary Edition )
- P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008 with Michael Jackson and will.i.am ( Previously Unreleased Track For 25th Anniversary Edition )
- Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008 with Michael Jackson, Akon and will.i.am( Previously Unreleased Track For 25th Anniversary Edition )
- Beat It 2008 with Fergie( Previously Unreleased Track For 25th Anniversary Edition )
- Billie Jean 2008 with Kanye West ( Previously Unreleased Track For 25th Anniversary Edition )
- For All Time (unreleased track from original Thriller sessions) ( Previously Unreleased Track For 25th Anniversary Edition )
Greatest Hits - QueenQueen - Greatest Hits
Queen were a British rock group that was formed in 1970, in 1981 they released their first compilation album which was called Greatest Hits. As well as being the fourth best selling album of the 80s in the UK it is also the best selling album of all time in the UK.
This absolutely classic album that any rock fan should embrace includes the hits Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions, Another One Bites the Dust and Killer Queen.
Queen - Greatest Hits Vol 1/UK VersionTrack Listing
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- Another One Bites The Dust
- Killer Queen
- Fat Bottomed Girls
- Bicycle Race
- You're My Best Friend
- Play The Game
- Seven Seas Of Rhye
- We Will Rock You
- We Are The Champions
- Don't Stop Me Now
- Save Me
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love
- Somebody To Love
- Now I'm Here
- Good Old-Fashoned Lover Boy
Kylie - Kylie MinogueKylie
Kylie Minogue came to prominence in the UK with her role as Charlene on the Australian soap opera Neighbours. Kylie and co-star Jason Donovan both decided to try their luck in the UK and pursued singing careers.
Kylie joined the Stock. Aitken & Waterman stables and produced hit singles such as I Should Be So Lucky and Loco-Motion both of which are on this, her debut album. The album, self-titled Kylie recieved mixed reviews as it was very cutesy and was a classic case of people buying it because they loved Kylie Minogue as opposed to enjoying the music.
I find it hard to believe that this was the fifth biggest selling album of the 80s in the UK.......I blame one of my friend's brothers for this as he was a Kylie fanatic!
- I Should Be So Lucky
- Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
- It's No Secret
- Got to Be Certain
- Turn It into Love
- I Miss You
- I'll Still Be Loving You
- Look My Way
- Love at First Sight
Whitney - Whitney HoustonWhitney
It is hardly surprising that Whitney Houston should take out the 6th best selling album of the 80s as her debut album - Whitney became the biggest selling debut album of all time for a solo artist.
Her fantastic voice helped her to make a hugely successful cross over from Gospel to pop and even today people the world over attempt to sing Saving All My Love For You on the reality hit show Idol.
I had both of Whitney's first two albums - Whitney & Whitney Houston and I have to say my favorite was the second one, but this first one sold more during the 80s in the UK.
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody 4:53
- Just The Lonely Talking Again 5:34
- Love Will Save The Day 5:23
- Didn't We Almost Have It All 5:08
- So Emotional 4:38
- Where You Are 4:10
- Love Is A Contact Sport 4:20
- You're Still My Man 4:16
- For The Love Of You 5:34
- Where Do Broken Hearts Go 4:39
- I Know Him So Well 4:31
Tango in the Night - Fleetwood MacTango in the Night
Fleetwood Mac was formed way back in 1967 and had experienced varied levels of success from the late 60s through until the 80s. During the late 70s and into the 80s Fleetwood Mac gave their sound a more popsy feel and added Stevie Nicks as another vocalist.
Tango in the Night became Fleetwood Macs biggest selling album in the UK even outselling Rumours (which I personally think was their best album).
After the Tango in the Night album the most successful line-up of Fleetwood Mac namely Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood broke up.
The album released the fantastic singles Little Lies and Seven Wonders among others.
Tango in the NightTrack Listing
- "Big Love" (Buckingham) – 3:37
- "Seven Wonders" (Sandy Stewart, Nicks) – 3:38
- "Everywhere" (C. McVie) – 3:41 "Caroline" (Buckingham) – 3:50
No Jacket Requred - Phil CollinsNo Jacket Required
Before Phil Collins released a solo single he was best known as lead singer and drummer for the British rock band Genesis. A fantastic drummer and a good singer Phil Collins was a mainstay in the UK charts throughout the 80s with hits such as Sussudio and One More Night.
No Jacket Required became the 8th best selling album of the 80s in the UK and went straight to the number one album spot in both the US and UK when it was released. The album received the Grammy for Album of the Year in 1985, but where did the name come from?
No Jacket Required came from an incident when Phil Collins was refused admittance to a restaurant because the jacket he was wearing wasn't deemed 'proper' enough. This story was one that Phil Collins told regularly when he was on talk shows.
No Jacket RequiredTrack Listing
- "Sussudio" - 4:23
- "Only You Know and I Know" (Lyrics: Collins/ Music: Daryl Stuermer) - 4:21
- "Long Long Way to Go" - 4:22
- "I Don't Wanna Know" (Lyrics: Collins/ Music: Stuermer) - 4:14
- "One More Night" - 4:48
- "Don't Lose My Number" - 4:48
- "Who Said I Would?" - 4:01
- "Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore?" (Lyrics: Collins/ Music: Stuermer) - 4:18
- "Inside Out" -5:15
- "Take Me Home" - 5:52
True Blue - MadonnaTrue Blue
Madonna owned the 80s and this album, her third, recieved critical acclaim and let her own the crown of Queen of Pop. True Blue allowed Madonna to show off her strong voice as it had the ballad Live to Tell which was a change from the pop hits that she had previously released.
One of my all time favorite Madonna songs is Papa Don't Preach and that was also off of her True Blue album.
Check out more about the 80s pop queen on our Madonna in the 80s post.
True BlueTrack Listing
- Papa Don't Preach 5:45
- Open Your Heart 4:13
- White Heat 4:36
- Live To Tell 5:53
- Where's The Party 4:20
- True Blue 4:18
- La Isla Bonita 4:02
- Jimmy Jimmy 3:56
- Love Makes The World Go Round 4:31
- True Blue (The Color Mix) 6:40 Album Only
- 11. La Isla Bonita (Extended Remix) 5:26
The Joshua Tree - U2The Joshua Tree
The rockers from Ireland known as U2 was formed in the late 70s and by the mid 80s had become one of the top international acts. The Joshua Tree was U2's fifth album and catapaulted them to a whole new level, if an album ever defined a group than this is the album that defined U2.
Hit singles such as Where the Streets Have No Name, With or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For are just as relevant today as they were in 1987 when they were released. This album took U2 to a whole new level and made them one of Ireland's biggest exports.
The Joshua TreeTrack Listing
- "Where the Streets Have No Name"
- "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
- "With or Without You"
- "Bullet the Blue Sky"
- "Running to Stand Still"
- "Red Hill Mining Town"
- "In God's Country"
- "Trip Through Your Wires"
- "One Tree Hill"
- "Mothers of the Disappeared"